Thursday, September 23, 2010

How does one advocate for oneself health wise? Three years ago I had xrays and MRI that showed scoliosis and I thought, you know, that is the route of my problem. But the top back surgeon in Sarasota, who everyone raves about, was like,no you are not a candidate for surgery. And I was more focused on the scary words of bulging disc and stuff. And the scary thought of back surgery and you really don't want them to operate on your discs. Well three years later and the scoliosis is looking like the culprit. So three years of pain; three years of it getting worse; three years and it makes the surgery more difficult, more invasive, less effective. Good god what do you do when you are older than 53. You know people say 53 is young but the health maze is confounding! And it is just me- there is no one sitting in the chair beside me holding my hand or asking the questions I can't think about or saying, yes or no that is the decision. And if I have surgery how do I take care of myself, my home, my cats, my job, pay my bills? Do I just let it get worse and then hope I die before it is too bad and all my pets are dead? Can I ever fly again if I have steel rods and pins in my back?

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago as well. There are loads of holistic things you can do. First and foremost I began a rigorous regime of chiropractic work, along with reiki, and yoga. We have more control over our bodies than we think. I also chose to go down a path of holistic supplements, - I forgo 'Western' medicine as much as possible. There are so many natural products that make us feel amazing and vibrant, - not waking up half dead or hormonally out of whack (that's just my choice, I understand it's not for all).

    Also, I recommend reading a book, "Healing Back Pain" by John Sarno. Life altering. I just flew across the country...no pins, no rods. A diagnosis is not a state of being. The rest is up to us.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete